Re: MIDI to mp3 or wav?

From: Tim Roberts
Subject: Re: MIDI to mp3 or wav?
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:34:58 -0800

Francisco Vila wrote:
> 2012/1/17 Martin Tarenskeen <address@hidden>:
>>> Audacity will do it.
>> I don't thinks so. Audacity does not load/play/convert MIDI files, does it ?
> Las time I looked at, it loaded, it didn't play or convert.  You can
> import a MIDI in a MIDI track for reference only.

Perhaps we need to explore what the original poster expects to achieve
through this conversion.  "Converting" a MIDI file to a wave file is, in
fact, the job of a synthesizer, and the sound of that result depends
ENTIRELY on the quality of the samples or the synthesis waveforms in the
synthesizer.  The conversion will be entirely different with different
software and hardware synthesizers.  The MIDI file says "clarinet plays
an Ab quarter note here", but it does not dictate what a clarinet sounds
like, or what its attack/decay envelope sounds like.

I suspect there may be a misunderstanding.

--
Tim Roberts, address@hidden
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.