Re: ISMLP/WIMA (?)

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: ISMLP/WIMA (?)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 21:48:34 +0100

2012/1/17 PMA <address@hidden>:
> David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 2012-01-15 at 20:26 -0500, PMA wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi List.
>>>
>>> I'm considering posting my scores on WIMA (now via ISMLP),
>>> and would much appreciate comment from any of you who
>>> have had experience in going that route.
>>

>> Make sure your midi, if any, has a copyright notice. Lilypond does
>> not put one in the midi file (for shame), so you have to enter one
>> directly or reedit converting to midge or some such.
>>
>> Do not license or grant any rights at all. Why would
>> you want to do that?
>>
>> Regards, daveA
>

> Your last sentence here hits on *the* issue in my original post.
> Why indeed would I...?

I suspect he was being ironical.

>But it seems that, to post on ISMLP/
> WIMA, one *must* commit to public-domain-like status.

Only public domain is public domain. Attribution licenses grant you
attribution rights. Other clauses grant other rights. Also: no source
code = no way to tamper with. So why bother? Or, on the contrary, why
not watermark every notehead so that you make it non-photocopyable?
Why not forbid your pieces to be played in public as 'Alice in
Wonderland' is? Why not DRM, or even better, why to publish them at
all? Give it hand to hand in a pendrive or CD-ROM to the very person
you want him to have it and done.

Look: in another thread an user has posted a torrent to a hack to a
Windows closed/proprietary/copyrighted/sold for money program. It is
not authorized. Its license does not allow to do that. But people will
copy and install it anyway and there is very little you can do about
that except to sue nearly every man/woman/child on earth.

Of course it is your right and this is only my opinion, but for sure
if I were you I would not publish it in a public place and at the same
time pretend people _not_ to do things with it.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com