Re: auto-beaming problem

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: auto-beaming problem
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 17:37:21 +0000

On 1/18/12 8:19 AM, "Ralph Palmer" <address@hidden> wrote:

>Greetings -
>
>I'm running LilyPond 2.12 under Windows XP.
>
>After checking the manual, especially 1.2.4 Beams : Setting automatic
>beam behavior, and the LSR, I still cannot get Lilypond to beam 8th notes
>in 3/4 time in 1/4 note groups. Grouping by quarter note is automatic for
>16th notes, but not for 8th notes, even though NR 1.2.4 says, "By
>default, baseMoment is
>the one over numerator of the time signature.  By default,
>each unit of length baseMoment is a single beat.
>" I've tried
>\set Timing.baseMoment
>and
>override-auto-beam-setting
>as in the following snippet. If anyone can point out my error, please do.
>
>%%%%%%%%%% Start Snippet %%%%%
>
>% auto-beaming test
>\version "2.14.1"

Your version says 2.14.  2.14 has different syntax.

There is a snippet in the docs for 2.14 that demonstrates how to beam 1/8
notes by quarters in 3/4.

In 2.14 it's

\set Timing.beamExceptions = #'()

See the snippet just above "How automatic beaming works" in the section
"Setting automatic beam behavior" under NR 1.2.4 Beams.

As far as 2.12 is concerned, you must make sure to first eliminate all of
the default beaming rules that apply for that time signature and then add
your own to get what you want.  It was sufficiently hard to do that it
caused me to completely rewrite the autobeaming interface, and the general
consensus was that the new syntax was much easier to use than the old
syntax. I don't remember the details of the old process well enough to
give you advice.  I'd recommend you upgrade from 2.12 to 2.14.

Thanks,

Carl