Re: Separating rehearsal marks from individual parts

From: Hayden Muhl
Subject: Re: Separating rehearsal marks from individual parts
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 10:32:59 -0800

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 2:40 AM, -Eluze <address@hidden> wrote:

Hayden Muhl-2 wrote:

> I understand the concept, but I can't figure out the specific syntax to
> make this happen. I have a global variable with skips and rehearsal marks,
> but every time I try to combine it with the music, I end up with an extra
> staff.

without your code it seems difficult to see what happens!

have you read the chapter about common errors
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/usage-big-page#an-extra-staff-appears?

Eluze

Here's a code snippet demonstrating what I want to do.

marks = {
s1
\mark "A"
s1
}

violin = {
\clef treble
\time 4/4
e'4 g' f' d'
% \mark "A"
e'1
\bar "|."
}

continuo = {
\clef bass
\time 4/4
c2 g2
% \mark "A"
c1
\bar "|."
}

In the continuo and violin parts, you can see where I have commented out a rehearsal mark. Instead of adding that rehearsal mark to both parts, I want to use the "marks" variable to add the rehearsal mark to both parts. I want to create one score combining the continuo and marks, and another score combining the violin and marks. What I don't know how to do is write the score objects properly.

Here's what I've tried so far, that has not worked.

Like I said before, every way I've tried adding marks results in an extra blank staff. I tried using \RemoveEmtpyStaffContext, but that also eliminated staves that have rests on them, which I don't want. I tried adding marks as a voice to one of the parts, but this made my rests stems go all wonky, so that's no good either. I have not included examples of my faulty attempts at creating a score, as I don't see them being particularly informative.