Page layout issues setting Preces & Responses (or, how to remove line br

From: Benedict Singer
Subject: Page layout issues setting Preces & Responses (or, how to remove line breaks between \score blocks)
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 13:19:29 -0800

Hi all,

I've been away from Lilypond for a while (I used it as a composer to set my pieces, and composition has taken a back seat for a few years). I just want to say that looking at the new features in 2.14 (and in 2.12 before that), it's incredible what everyone has done, so much thanks!

A member of my choir wrote a new set of Preces and Responses, and we read it last night. The conductor typed it up for him using Finale, which he's not terribly proficient at using, so I volunteered to make a nice copy of it using Lilypond. So far the only issue I have is working out how to layout the page. I'd like to do it in the style of most other Preces/Responses I've seen, where there's a single staff for the priest's line, which stops, and then on the same horizontal line, a 2 staff ChoirStaff for the choir part starts. A bad ascii-art representation:

and so on down the page. An example I found on the web: http://static.musicroom.com/img/c/f/NOV441460.jpg

Poking around in the documentation/snippets and on google, I haven't been able to find a way to do this. I've attached a basic file that shows the musical structure I'm dealing with. Lilypond renders this with line breaks between all the \score blocks, whereas I want to suppress those, and just line break within \score blocks when appropriate. Can I achieve this? If not, is something like: http://static.musicroom.com/img/c/f/NOV290559.jpg the best I could hope to do currently?

Alternatively, do I need to play games with stopping/starting staffs and reprinting clefs/key signatures? If so, how do I make it look exactly like the start of a new system (brackets, possibly instrument names, etc)?

Any suggestions and help much appreciated! Thanks!

Ben