Re: User vs Developer: Round 2 (and half-time?) (was: Re: music font)

From: Christopher R. Maden
Subject: Re: User vs Developer: Round 2 (and half-time?) (was: Re: music font)
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 21:36:47 -0500

On 01/22/2012 07:15 PM, Xavier Scheuer wrote a long message about
tensions between users and developers.

Well said, Xavier.  We users certainly appreciate the many, many hours
and the deep expertise put in by the developers to make such an
excellent tool.  And I think the developers (if I may, not being one) do
appreciate the expertise that the users bring to interesting edge cases
around music engraving and typesetting.

The users don’t always say so, and so sometimes we all forget that the
silent users are the happy users, merrily plugging along with a
wonderful tool.  That means that the users are most likely to speak when
something is wrong, and it is easy to mistake that for complaining.
LilyPond is a great tool with great developers and a great user base.

Thank you, Xavier, for posting a very nicely balanced essay, a great
rarity on the Internet. (-:

And thank you, users and developers, for both contributing to such a
fantastically wonderful tool.

~Chris
“Be wary of great leaders.  Hope that there are many, many small
 leaders.” — Pete Seeger