Re: Lyircs melsima line ending in interpunctation

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Lyircs melsima line ending in interpunctation
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 10:20:33 +0100

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>> I've been asking myself why, if that's the rule (which I don't deny)
>> eg. Frank Sinatra sings:
>>
>> Newwwwwwww York
>> and
>> Myyyyyyyy way
>>
>> instead of Neeeeew or M[aa...]....y
>
> Well, non-operatic singing follows different rules, obviously :-)
>
> But try that without a microphone in a 1000 seats audience, and you
> will kill your voice within a few minutes.

More likely the goodwill of your audience.  If you are not singing in
Italian but for example in Germanic languages, you can't avoid closed
vowels anyway.  It still sounds blatantly stupid for most diphthongs if
you don't place the vowel transition at the end of an artificially
prolonged syllable.  Like it sounds stupid if you place a consonant too
soon and then have nothing convincing to do before the next syllable
starts.

"Broadway style singing" does not stretch the speech/music relation as
much so it can get away with a more "natural" singing style that will
then in the rare locations where a stretched syllable is present after
all, "bleat" more.

--
David Kastrup