Re: Lyircs melsima line ending in interpunctation

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Lyircs melsima line ending in interpunctation
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 13:44:39 +0100

2012/1/24 Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>:
>> Please consider this example too (see attachment) - it's taken from
>> Haendel's "Messiah".  I find placing the semicolon before extender
>> very awkward here - notice the line break.  It seems much more "in
>> place" when punctuation is after the extender.
>
> I disagree.  For me, the only right place for punctuation is directly
> after the syllable.  Remember that if we sing, say,
>
>  a - stray:_________
>

> we actually do
>
>  a - stra_________y:
>
> so putting just the punctuation after the melisma is illogical.

I could agree if we were talking about a melisma that doesn't cross a
line break.  When there's a line break involved, having punctuation
before it makes the part after the break look totally unconnected to
anything.  Just some notes and a line, how one is supposed to sing
something like that? :)

cheers,
Janek