Re: User vs Developer: Round 2 (and half-time?)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: User vs Developer: Round 2 (and half-time?)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 13:53:32 +0100

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> Recently i seriously offended David without intentions to do so at all
> - it was also a miscommunication :(

Not really.  I was offended at the way you saw things, not the way you
communicated them.

And the title of this thread again suggests that "developers" are a
separate breed from users, and the contents suggest that this implies
additional duties and responsibilities, while telling them they ought to
accept that those who refuse to partake in such duties and
responsibilities for a variety of reasons are to be lauded for that as
least as much.

In contrast to regular computer support jobs, customer relations, sales
jobs and prostitution, I am not getting paid for maintaining an
impression of balanced mutual enjoyment and give-and-take.

It is not an equal give-and-take when a user does a good bug report and
a developer does a good bug fix.  It just means that the user does not
make it unnecessarily hard for the developer to keep giving.

With the kind ofstuff that is flying around, it is easy for a user to
say "I would never want to become a developer since I don't think I
would be able to survive as one", like a man might say "I would never
want to become a woman" for similar reasons.

And one overlooks that the developer/user distinction is more a social
than an actual biological one.  Because that makes things so easy and
guilt-free.  One has no qualms expecting the strong thinkers to carry a
burden commensurate with the pedestal one conveniently places them on.

--
David Kastrup