Re: user vs. user

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: user vs. user
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 16:03:06 +0100

Tim McNamara <address@hidden> writes:

> It's not clear how to offer a bounty on a specific issue through the
> Website, if that is even possible.  Also, it's not clear there is any
> way to contribute to some sort of general fund to pay for server
> space, bandwidth, other operating expenses.  Maybe those things are
> covered already, I don't know.

The main repository is operated by the GNU project, some Google
resources made open to the public are used for reviews.  Most of the
rest, including servers, is run by volunteers, on hardware they bought
themselves, with their own time to shake out procedures and stuff.

I just mentioned on the developer list that the general test-and-push
procedure which Graham will no longer be doing due to lack of his time
soon could be taken over by me only if about five people volunteered 50€
per month for that.  Of course, I can't live from that, but it would
delay running out of money approximately by the time I would have to
spent on that task.

Most of the "operating expenses" we are currently grappling with is
operator time.  I would have that on offer, but I expect that most users
would rather prefer development to lurch to a halt than enter into any
commitments of either time or money rather than "good suggestions".

--
David Kastrup