Re: Bounties

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Bounties
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 23:14:05 +0100

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> I think that bounties will never have significant impact on Lily
> development if we don't organize them.  It's because writing code is
> very expensive ($200-500 for a nontrivial patch?) compared to money
> average user can spend (few can afford $100 i think).
> I am serious: there are at least 20 issues in our tracker that i'm
> willing to pay for, but not more than $10 for each.  Can we find 20
> people like me?  I think so.
>
> Xavier, may i ask you an unusual question?  Feel free to ignore it.
> Why could you want to become "bounty hunter" (i.e. person that
> organizes bounties and sponsorship)?

There are not all that many people seriously interested in bounties.
Just give me the money and I'll do something useful.

That's actually just half-kidding.  You'll see that there are issues
with bounties on them where I explain that I will complete a totally
different, quite harder and unpaid issue first before tackling that
bounty issue because it would not make sense to do it the other way
round.

Organizing LilyPond development by bounties is similar to making
hotlines responsible for product roadmap, development and revenue.

The bounty principle is "I'll pay you $50 if you implement feature x for
me."  The kind of work I am actually doing would rather need a model of
"I'll pay you $250 if you bring LilyPond and documentation into a state
where I can implement feature x myself."

Or I get percentages on every bounty that could get cashed because of
preparatory work of mine.

At the current point of time this is all a bit hypothetical since nobody
except myself has expressed an actual need for eventual momentary
rewards.  And it is not like I have LilyPond yet close to the shape
where I can comfortably use it as a base for paid work.  The active user
base is just too small to successfully draw an income from them that
does not hurt them and sustains myself.

--
David Kastrup