Partcombine: Distinguish solo voice

From: Matie Holtzhausen
Subject: Partcombine: Distinguish solo voice
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 12:10:15 +0200

Hi all,

The documentation states: For vocal scores (hymns), there is no need to add “solo/a2” texts, so they should be switched off. However, it might be better not to use it if there are any solos, as they won’t be indicated. In such cases, standard polyphonic notation may be preferable.

I have seen SATB scores where the a2 notes have a up and down stem, but the solo notes just a up or down stem.  Thus distinguishing between solo and a2.

It would therefore be useful to have a command that would act like \partcombineAutomatic when there are two different notes of the same duration at the same time, and like \partcombineApart at any other time.  Or am I missing something?

musicUp = \relative c' {f4 g c r}

musicUpDistinguishSolo = \relative c' {f4 \partcombineApart g c r}

musicDown = \relative c' {c4 g' r c,}

<<
  \new Staff \musicUp
  \new Staff \musicDown
  \new Staff \with { printPartCombineTexts = ##f } {
    \set Staff.instrumentName = #"solo or a2??"
    \partcombine \musicUp \musicDown
  }
  \new Staff \with { printPartCombineTexts = ##f } {
    \set Staff.instrumentName = #"New style"
    \partcombine \musicUpDistinguishSolo \musicDown
  }

Regards, Matie