Re: Clef change in the beginning of piece

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Clef change in the beginning of piece
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 00:08:15 -0500

Hello Kieren,

Quoting Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden>:

Hi Pavel,

Wouldn't it be easier to just override the first clef to have both clef glyphs?

The problem is that the amount of the horizontal space between clefs depends on the key signature and (to a lesser degree) on the time signature. The time signature is essentially the last item before the notes (the cue clef should not be there or it would be a different problem, and custos only goes to the end of the line unless we choose to misuse it).

I can set the distance between the time signature and the change clef to 1.2 and it would look reasonable with any key signature. But if I attach the change clef to the staff clef, the distance would need to be tweaked. If we try to do it automatically, we would need to know the position of the time signature, and then I cannot imagine how it would simplify things.

I hoped maybe there is a way to insert a glyph into the beginning of any measure. A rest with overridden stencil and spacing tweaks would do the trick, but it would need a separate voice, which is somewhat intrusive.

Thanks for your input anyway!

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin