Re: polychords, using root in chord markup?

From: Jean-Alexis Montignies
Subject: Re: polychords, using root in chord markup?
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 19:21:33 +0100

On 3 déc. 2011, at 05:27, Carl Sorensen wrote:

> On 12/2/11 3:59 PM, "Jean-Alexis Montignies" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I will have to write polychords (as my jazz harmony classes is getting to
>> that) in Lilypond. I'm looking for ways to do this. Polychord -
>> Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychord>
>>
>> Is it be possible to use the root or a transposed root into the markup of
>> a chord? I could then use the extensions to recognize a upper chord
>> relatively to the root.
>
> The scheme procedure that is the context property chordRootNamer is used
> to return the markup of the root.
>
> The scheme procedure that is the context property chordNoteNamer is used
> to return the markup of any individual pitch.
>
> These two procedures could probably be used to do what you want to do, but
> it would take some scheme hacking to make it work.

I'm back on the problem, had been distracted since :).
Thanks for the suggestions. Since I read user/devs interaction messages, I'll
take this opportunity to say I'm very happy with the support I received since
I'm using Lilypond!

I'm not afraid to hack some scheme though I'm not fluent in it yet or even less
in the lilypond internals.

My guess is for a start, I should find a way to use the chord root, transpose
it and translate that to a name from a chord name exception markup block

I looked in the extending lilypond guide and searched in the snipnets.

I understand I could probably use define-markup-command, but would it be
possible to have access to the context from a function defined that way? Or is
there something in props I could use?

Sorry if this are trivial questions. I would be able use a pointer to the
relevant doc or an existing peace of code as an example.

Jean-Alexis