Re: Multiple notes over same lyric

From: Bill Mooney
Subject: Re: Multiple notes over same lyric
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 16:30:54 +1300

Greetings
You wrote...
+++++++++++++++++++++++
I'm trying to put multiple notes *over* the same lyric. What I mean can be seen in this PDF: http://www.npm.org/Chants/assets/Gloria.pdf

The word earth for example has two notes over the text itself. A few more melismatic examples on page 2 also. When I try to accomplish this, it seems that the second note gets pushed right till it's after the end of the text, ending up with a long slur before the remaining notes are close together. (By the way I'm mimicking the style in the PDF to some extent: no stems, no barlines, cadenzaOff, a few old markings via gregorian.ly).

I have tried many of the examples from the lilypond manuals (different lyric entry modes, associated voices, using slurs, manual lyric durations, etc.) with no luck. Am I missing something simple here? Any ideas?
+++++++++++++++++++++++

This might help - once you include stem removers and things.
%%%%%%%%%%
Music = \relative c'
{
c4 c c c c c c c c c c( b) c c c c c d( e) e
}

Words = \lyricmode {
Glor -- y to God in the high -- est and on earth peace to peo -- ple of good will.
}
note the positioning of the ( and ) corresponding with the relevant melismas in the text
Hope this helps,
Regards
Bill