Re: Multiple notes over same lyric

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Multiple notes over same lyric
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 23:11:06 +0100

Hi,

2012/1/31 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:
> Hi,
>
> 2012/1/31 mdspencer <address@hidden>:
>> I guess maybe I'm confused then. When I leave off the associated lyrics,
>> then the note spacing is compact, just like I wish. When I put the lyrics
>> in, they push over some notes, but the other note spaces are not changed.
>
> I think this is a limitation of LilyPond.  See the end of this
> subsection
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/notation/working-with-ancient-music_002d_002dscenarios-and-solutions#transcribing-gregorian-chant
> for a work-around.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Janek

in gregorian.ly there is the setting:
\override SpacingSpanner #'packed-spacing = ##t
in \layout which causes the problem.

You can set it to #f in your own \layout.  Of course the spacing is
changed now, but playing around with some other properties of
SpacingSpanner leads to an acceptable result, I hope.

see also:
http://old.nabble.com/Compressing-mensural-notation-td32747638.html

In the snippet below I integrated your "Tes -- ting" and another
little bit larger example, discussed some time ago in the german
forum. http://www.lilypondforum.de/index.php?topic=1011.0 (but you
need an account there to see the attached files)

\version "2.14.2"

%-------------- Example 1

\include "gregorian.ly"

myLayout = \layout {
 \context {
   \Staff
   \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
   \override Stem #'transparent = ##t
 }
 \context {
   \Voice
   \override Stem #'length = #0
 }
 \context {
   \Score
   % not needed! -> gregorian.ly
   % \remove "Bar_number_engraver"
   \override SpacingSpanner #'packed-spacing = ##f
   \override SpacingSpanner #'common-shortest-duration = #(ly:make-moment 1 3)
   \override SpacingSpanner #'base-shortest-duration = #(ly:make-moment 1 2)
   \override SpacingSpanner #'spacing-increment = #1.4
   timing = ##t
   barAlways = ##f

chant = {
 \clef treble \cadenzaOn \autoBeamOff
 g'( a' b') b'~ b'
}

chantLyrics = \lyricmode { Test -- ing }

\score {
 \new Staff <<
   \new Voice = "chantVoice" \chant

 \layout { \myLayout }
}

\score {
 \new Staff <<
   \new Voice = "chantVoice" \chant
   \new Lyrics \lyricsto "chantVoice" { \chantLyrics }

 \layout { \myLayout }
}

%-------------- Example 2

\include "gregorian.ly"

#(set-global-staff-size 18)

\score {
        \new Staff {
                \relative c' {
                        \clef "treble_8"
                        \time 1/4
%Ia.3
                b c d s \divisioMaxima g g32 f e (d c b a g)
                a16 (b a b) g4 s \divisioMaxima \break
%Ib.1
                g' \times 2/3 { e8 f (g) } f e d b s4 a4 c
                e16 (d e f) s4 \divisioMaxima
                d s4 \divisioMaxima \times 2/3 { c8 (b a) } s4
                \divisioMaxima g4 \break
                c e f d   e  s4 \divisioMaxima  \break
        }
\addlyrics {
        \set stanza = #"Ia.3" po4 -- pu -- lis2 di4 -- es is -- ta.2
        \set stanza = #"Ib.1" Hanc4 pro -- phe -- te2 pri4 -- scis a2
se -- cu -- lis,4
        \set stanza = #"Ib.2" si -- gna -- ve -- re mul -- tis um --
bra -- cu -- lis, }
        }

  \layout {
          \context {
                \Voice
                  %\override Slur #'transparent = ##t
          }
          \context {
                \Staff
                  \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
          \override BarLine #'X-extent = #'(-0.7 . 0.7)
          \override Stem #'transparent = ##t
          \override Beam #'transparent = ##t
          \override BarLine #'transparent = ##t
          \override TupletNumber #'transparent = ##t
          }
          \context {
                \Score
                  % not needed! -> gregorian.ly
                  %\remove "Bar_number_engraver"
                  \override SpacingSpanner #'packed-spacing = ##f
                  \override SpacingSpanner #'common-shortest-duration =
#(ly:make-moment 1 3)
                  \override SpacingSpanner #'base-shortest-duration =
#(ly:make-moment 1 2)
                  \override SpacingSpanner #'spacing-increment = #1.4
          }
          ragged-right = ##t
          indent = 0

HTH,