Re: Roadblock MacOSX 10.4 for release of LilyPond 2.16

From: James Worlton
Subject: Re: Roadblock MacOSX 10.4 for release of LilyPond 2.16
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 10:30:37 -0600

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 10:05 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Tim McNamara <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Eventually legacy system support gets broken in every project.
>> PPC-based Mac users (of which I am one, we have three PPC based Macs
>> that continue to run fine) mostly can update to 10.5.
>
> How expensive is that step?  If the sum is nontrivial, I'd rather see it
> in my pocket than Apple's if that is an option (of course, the typical
> user considers paying a proprietary vendor a normal operating expense,
> and paying a free software developer an insolence, so it is not likely
> that I'd be able to divert that sum even if I were able to come up with
> a helpful course of action in this or similar cases).

Quick search shows 10.5 for between $200-300. Definite ouch,
especially for a dead-end OS, IMO.

> The question is whether this step can then be postponed until the
> computer is retired.

That was my plan. Unfortunately, no date set for a system upgrade (way
short on cash).

>> For 10.4 users, I would recommend identifying the most recent version
>> of Lilypond that will run on that platform and identifying it on the
>> Web site.  This is a standard practice.
>
> Yup.

On my PPC 10.4 machine Lily 2.15.26 was the last one that ran (the
GUI) without problems. I am not near my machine now, and so I can't
test if 2.15.27 will run from the command line. I'll test that
tonight.

I can understand the need for casting off obsolete systems from the
project. When I opened this issue, I had hoped for a trivial problem
with the newest dev. version, but it appears that that is not the
case. I'm okay with Lily leaving 10.4 behind. I'll just have to change
how (& where) I work.

So, as one of the (few, to be sure) 10.4 users, I say don't hold up
the 2.16 timeline on my account.

James Worlton
(Message should be insolence free.)