Re: Roadblock MacOSX 10.4 for release of LilyPond 2.16

From: James
Subject: Re: Roadblock MacOSX 10.4 for release of LilyPond 2.16
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 20:02:47 +0000

Hello,

On 3 February 2012 19:52, Hans Aberg <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> But one cannot install 10.7 on PPC hardware, which is at the root of the
>>> issue.
>>
>> Correct and you cannot always install 10.5 on PPC even though others
>> say they have. It depends on the hardware. I believe that the EFI is
>> checked (or some such hardware setting - CPU?) as my own sister found
>> out on her mac mini (first gen) the DVD I had for 10.5 said that the
>> hardware was incompatible with the 10.5 installation.
>
> Have you tried this:
>  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Leopard#Usage_on_unsupported_hardware

Thanks but too late.

After apple fleeced my father 25 quid because his new ipod he got for
his birthday didn't work with the itunes version of 10.4 (and the
cable that came with it didn't fit in any of the holes - well it did
but he was no longer able to use firewire and had to use a USB which
meant always having to remove something else just to charge his ipod)
and on the same day my sister got her new iPhone and was really upset
she couldn't sync it with itunes ("but it's Apple it should work, why
doesn't it work? What's PPC? Make it work! They said it would work! My
old phone worked! etc.)  - I had to download a hacky Bluetooth driver
and then she could only sync contacts - so I stuck two fingers up at
Jobs Inc.

Gave my sister the intel -based Imac I owned bought a souped up Dell
server and stuck Lubuntu on it. Haven't looked back.

Worth it just for the happy smiling face of my Sister. Now she can
play Angry Birds. Hooray!

aawwwwww

James