Re: Burden and Volta with Coventry Carol

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Burden and Volta with Coventry Carol
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 10:39:41 -0000

Hi

This should help:

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/techniques-specific-to-lyrics#lyrics-and-repeats

Trevor

----- Original Message ----- From: "dadadharma @dslextreme.com" <address@hidden>
To: "lilypond-user" <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 6:22 AM
Subject: Burden and Volta with Coventry Carol

Hi Folks,

I'm getting Christmas carols ready for December 2012.

In this case, the "Coventry Carol".

I don't know how to arrange for 2 blocks of lyrics: a "burden" (a
front-loaded chorus), followed by three stanzas.

I explain my problem here, with .ly and .pdf files.

<http://www.hosorembo.com/Lily/JF.html#Coventry>

A .gif model is here (with slightly different interpretation of accidentals).

<http://www.8notes.com/christmas/xmas/images/s7272b.gif>

(Probably the 1591 MS that everyone works from didn't clearly mark accidentals.)

If I use "volta" for the stanza section, how do I get the stanzas to
print only inside the volta?

I borrowed a "\context Voice = sopverse" [SopranoVerse] from another
LilyPond file (version 2.6.3); even so, the stanzas start at the
beginning, rather than at the \context point.

The "burden" over-writes the first stanza
"Two simultaneous lyric events, junking this one"

Maybe there's a simple line of instructions I need to add.

Maybe I need to completely rethink the way I structure my files.

Thanks in advance,

David Olson
Culver City, California