Re: Experimental Web-based Lilypond Editor

From: Nils
Subject: Re: Experimental Web-based Lilypond Editor
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 17:07:03 +0100

On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 15:52:27 +0000
James <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 4 Feb 2012, at 12:42, Nils <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 06:05:10 +0000
> > James <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello

> >> Frescobaldi?
> >>
> >> James

> > By what definition is Frescobaldi not a separate editor?
>
> Get as pedantic as you like, but Frescobaldi is a Big window with editor on
> the left, PDF output on the right.
>
> This Browser based solution is a big window with an editor on the left and
> PDF output on the right.
>
> Apart from the OS you run on. There is no difference.
>
> Frescobaldi has a heap more useful features though for serious use than this
> experimental website - that's not to disparage what is done here, it's a nice
> piece of work.
>
> The Implication that Mr Kulp made was basically not having to keep opening a
> PDF separately from the editor.
>
> In Linux and MacOs when LilyPad worked for me, you never would need to do
> that, the PDF would update automatically, windows never did. So it was a big
> window on the left where I edited and the PDF on the right where the music
> appeared. I just pressed ctrl-c or whatever it was instead of click a
> 'preview' button. Same difference. Average user doesn't care.
>
> So if I were going to recommend LP editor or composition and the users had
> windows I'd go for FB everytime. Try the latest version 2.2 I think, Wilbert
> has done a cracking job for windows users.
>
> You still need an editor to errr edit the LP file and a PDF viewer to view
> it.
>
> James

This was not against Frescobaldi, I like it.
My question was real, it is a seperate editor. Seperate from the web point of
view means that your own computer does the computation.
Especially Lilypond runs on your own computer.

The web editor is different because it runs remote lilypond and you only
interact with the frontend. This is meant by "not seperate".
In fact it would be more accurate to say that you don't want to run a seperate
lilypond and a seperate pdf viewer. The text-area is the center of view and so
it cannot be seperate per definitionem.

Nils