Re: Roadblock MacOSX 10.4 for release of LilyPond 2.16

From: Stan Sanderson
Subject: Re: Roadblock MacOSX 10.4 for release of LilyPond 2.16
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 21:44:08 -0600

On Feb 4, 2012, at 5:07 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> James Worlton <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Feb 3, 2012, at 10:30 AM, James Worlton wrote:
>>
>>> On my PPC 10.4 machine Lily 2.15.26 was the last one that ran (the
>>> GUI) without problems. I am not near my machine now, and so I can't
>>> test if 2.15.27 will run from the command line. I'll test that
>>> tonight.
>>>

>> So, I'm a bit late with the results of this test. But I can say that
>> the most
>> recent dev. version, 2.15.28, DOES compile and provide output if
>> you run Lily from the command line. It appears the problem is solely
>> related to the GUI.
>>
>> Mac OS X 10.4
>> Dual 2.7 GHz PPC G5
>
> I have an hour of developer time from Graham left that I earned with a
> job I did for him.  He estimates that the preexisting work and analysis
> should make this suffice for him getting the MacOSX changes required
> into GUB.  For the sake of getting a stable release out soon, I am
> willing to make that issue go away.
>
> However, it will also go away by declaring MacOSX PPC an unsupported
> platform.  I don't see any rationale why I should ask Graham to do the
> work just out of his heart's goodness.  And if the MacOSX PPC community
> does not consider this task worth the 70€ for which I would let my
> remaining Graham hour go (and it is definitely a steal), there is no
> point in anybody investing the work for a platform nobody is interested
> spending any resources on.  I would also guess that a _willing_ MacOSX
> developer could learn the ropes in a few hours.  Which would be a more
> reliable course in the long run since obviously this problem is not
> necessarily the last ever.
>
> Just for the record: I already invested my other Graham hour into a
> release-critical task that is not particularly interesting to me.
>
> And I am sick to death about users pontificating why I (or Graham or
> whoever else) should consider it my holy duty to make them happy at any
> price to myself.  So here is your chance at showing that there is enough
> interest in maintaining PPC compatibility to give it a reasonable shot
> of happening (and be realistic: even a Graham hour is not more than a
> good shot at it: if you are really serious, learn the ropes and invest
> the time it takes to get this right).
>
> --
> David Kastrup

David, et. al.,

This is the first I've seen that PPC is to be totally abandoned. I'm running
the the development version on my PowerBook G4, OS 10.5.8, with no problems.
What will change to take that functionality away?

I would truly like to be able to dig into the code, and many years ago I would
have offered to help. I once taught programming. However, the learning curve
would be precipitously steep, and I'm afraid somewhat Sisyphean!

Regards,

Stan