Re: Lyric under a barline?

From: mdspencer
Subject: Re: Lyric under a barline?
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 21:19:37 -0800 (PST)

Yes, I'm sorry, I should have been clearer.

A relevant example can be seen here:
http://www.gregoriano.org.br/gregoriano/imagens/023-Ad%20te%20levavi%20(Small).jpg

And here:
http://www.christusrex.org/www2/cantgreg/partituras/co_ioseph_fili_david.gif

Although this is square note notation and I'm setting some ancient music
using a modified mensural style, I would like to bring over some of the old
markings that are often indicated directly under the barline. For example,
often an asterisk is indicated under the first barline to indicate when the
choir joins in with the cantor. At other times, a flex symbol (often: †) is
added under a barline. In the first above example, the Psalm indicator Ps.
is also in italics and spaced under the barline. In the second, the italic
T.P indicates what is sung differently in the Easter season.

While often these markings are not strictly 'connected' to the barline, the
barline is often spaced directly over them for aesthetic reasons. I have
tried using markup on the bar itself, but this results in text that is not
in the lyric context. If there's a way to connect some text to a barline
that is spaced in the lyric line, it would help me out. But they don't need
to be lyrics per se.

-MDS