Re: Thinking about putting together a grant to support development on Li

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Thinking about putting together a grant to support development on LilyPond
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 19:24:08 +0000

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 07:11:26PM +0000, Carl Sorensen wrote:

> On 2/8/12 11:01 AM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >I can not see this funding non-Americans working outside of
> >America.
>
> If you look at the links, many of the successful grants either invite or
> require multiple country involvement.

ah, I'd missed that!  I'd also forgotten about David's American
citizenship.

> And before I got to that point, I'd need to put together some
> talks with musicological researchers so we could formulate a
> proposal that is even interesting to them.

BTW, you might want to cc Jonathan Kulp directly, since he *is* a
US musicologist.  Even if his research interests aren't directly
tied to lilypond, I'd expect him to at least know others US
musicologists who would be directly interested in such a grant.

> But I won't even go that far if there's no interest from enough of
> the LilyPond community to cause me to believe that we might be able to put
> together an international team to do something.

Depends on how international you want to go, how closely tied to
music it needs to be, and how academic the people need to be.
There's Peter Chubb in Australia; he worked on the robotic
clarinet player.  My supervisor in the UK had a recent phd student
who did stuff on a database for musicology, combining sensor
readings with lilypond scores.  etc.

> The LilyPond work has to be supported based on achieving
> the desired academic goals.  But I don't think that's unreasonable to
> propose.

Oh, I definitely don't think that's unreasonable to propose!
There's definitely potential; it just depends on how much real
interest there is in actually coordinating the grant application.

- Graham