Re: override TupletNumber . Custom text

From: jakob lund
Subject: Re: override TupletNumber . Custom text
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 09:41:54 +0100

Sigh.. This is a bit confusing..

9. feb. 2012 23.45 skrev Pavel Roskin <address@hidden>:
> On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 22:53:09 +0100
> jakob lund <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> 9. feb. 2012 22.12 skrev Pavel Roskin <address@hidden>:
>
>> > It's weird indeed.  If "Default_bar_line_engraver" is placed above
>> > "Timing_translator", then the beats are correct.
>>
>> You mean placed below? ... I'll go to sleep Now!
>
> I mean placed above.  This produces wrong output (3 beats in the first
> measure):
>
> \score {
>  <<
>    \new Staff \with {
>      \consists "Timing_translator"
>      \consists "Default_bar_line_engraver"
>    } <<
>      \new Voice \repeat unfold 8 { d'4 }
>    >>
>  >>
>  \layout {}
> }
>
> But this is OK (4 beats everywhere):
>
> \score {
>  <<
>    \new Staff \with {
>      \consists "Default_bar_line_engraver"
>      \consists "Timing_translator"
>    } <<
>      \new Voice \repeat unfold 8 { d'4 }
>    >>
>  >>
>  \layout {}
> }

If you add
  \context { \Score \remove Timing_translator }
to your \layout in both of the above snippets, the reverse situation occurs.
It seems to me that the "normal" thing would be to remove it; somehow
it seems logical that the barline engraver would use the info
generated by the timing translator to decide where to place barlines,
so the barline engraver should be last.

I'm *guessing* that if not explicitly removed from Score, there will
be TWO Timing_translators going in parallel, creating some sort of
race condition?!

Taking the example from the docs and commenting out \remove
Timing_translator also messes things up.

>> Thanks for pointing that out... I made a comment there suggesting a
>> text to update the docs, it should be in there :-)
>
> Yes, it would be more useful to post our insights in the bug tracker if
> we can add something valuable to the discussion.

Right now I'm not sure that I *do* have anything valuable to add, at
least not in terms of writing a concise description of the situation
for putting in the documentation :-/ (though I still think there ought
to be one)