Re: Vertically aligning fret diagrams

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Re: Vertically aligning fret diagrams
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 15:27:39 +1100

On 14/02/12 11:50, Carl Sorensen wrote:

On 2/13/12 3:13 PM, "Nick Payne"<address@hidden>  wrote:

If I have a succession of fret diagrams above the chords on a stave, how
do I align the fret diagrams vertically. In the example below, the chord
names at the top of all three fret diagrams are aligned vertically, but
the fret diagrams for A and C have more space below the chord name and
sit lower than that for G.
The easiest way is to use the FretBoards context, rather than adding the
fret diagrams as markups to notes.

See Predefined fret diagrams in Notation Reference 2.4.1 Common notation
for fretted strings for examples of the use of the FretBoards context.

Ok, thanks. If I do that, one thing I can't figure out from the documentation is how to indicate a barre if I'm using an automatic fret diagram. For example, If I replace

<<
    \context ChordNames {
        \chordmode {
            a1
    \context Staff {
        \clef "treble_8"
<a, e a cis' a'>1^\markup {
            \fret-diagram #"c:4-1-2;6-x;5-o;4-2-1;3-2-1;2-2-1;1-5-4;" }
    }

where the barre is specified with c:4-1-2, and use instead

<<
    \context ChordNames {
        \chordmode {
            a1
    \context FretBoards {
<a, e a cis' a'>
    }
    \context Staff {
        \clef "treble_8"
<a, e a cis' a'>
    }

Then how do I indicate the barre in the FretBoards context?

Regards

Nick