Using Development Versions, Introducing LilyPond to Others

From: Mark Mathias
Subject: Using Development Versions, Introducing LilyPond to Others
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:40:07 -0500

I appreciate Xavier's suggestion that I move to 2.15. I have not used development versions of Lilypond because of the warning, "If you have the slightest doubt..." Well, as a non-programmer with a great deal to learn, I have a lot of doubt! :-) I notice that 2.16 is close to release, so I will take a chance and try 2.15.30.

As I considered the move to 2.15, it triggered some thoughts in my mind on which I would appreciate some advice. I really love the freedom and flexibility of Lilypond, having come from Finale about a year ago.

First, I teach a 12-week introductory lab class in music technology to high school students (both musicians and non-). The students determine their own focus for course content by choosing among Finale, ACID Pro, REASON and piano keyboarding skills. Also, everyone is required to pass the first six units of Alfred's Essentials of Music Theory. Since it is a fairly small lab class each students gets a good amount of individual instruction.

Recently, I've spoken enthusiastically about Lilypond, not just to my students, but to anyone who will listen. So far, I've had no takers. Any thoughts on ways to get others interested in Lilypond would be welcome. For a young person with a love for music and the need to develop marketable skills, I can't think of a more enjoyable way to introduce how computer commands and programs work than by combining music-making and Lilypond. Sometimes it's hard to get the fish to bite even with the most delicious food right in front of their noses!

Second, I noticed in Lilypond "Help Us" section that even someone like me might be useful in a way that might free up others with the advanced programming skills. Of the practical suggestions listed (Mailing List, Bug Reports, Documentation, Snippets), which would be the best place to start?

Finally, since 2.14, LilyPondTool no longer works as it did and I haven't seen anything from Mr. Fodor about it for several months. Did I miss something? Is there a better way to work on a Lilypond file than jEdit with LilyPondTool?

Also, please let me know if this isn't the best place or manner in which to address these issues.

Thank you,
Mark

Xavier wrote:
It was tracked as issue #1563 , which was actually solved in 2.15.6.

Mark, if you use the development version 2.15.30 it is actually fixed
and you won't need my workaround anymore.  You could also wait for the
next stable release 2.16.

Cheers,
Xavier