Re: spam

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: spam
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 21:32:33 +0100

On 22 Feb 2012, at 20:32, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Hans Aberg wrote:
>> Xavier Scheuer wrote:
>>> AFAICS all these spam mails passing through the lilypond-user mailing
>>> list come from only one e-mail address:
>>> Steven Padalino <address@hidden>
>>>
>>> I suppose this e-mail address is subscribed to lilypond-user mailing
>>> list, otherwise the list moderators would not have allowed these
>>> messages.
>>
>> It seems to be a regular user, active with a few posts in 2008,
>> whose acoount has been hacked: first spam from 20 February this
>> year.
>
> Correct.  Unfortunately hacked mail accounts seem to be on the rise
> lately.  It isn't unusual to see an address from a currently active
> member posting spam these days due to a hacked account.

It may look a bit mysterious at this end, because it gives an impression of
somebody hacking the mailing list, whereas in reality, the mail account has
been hacked. One way to do the latter is to install a key logger in Internet
cafes, a method common in some parts of the world, I am told.

> In any case, thanks for reporting this problem to the mailing list
> owner.  The address has been removed from the subscription list.

Also, I have seen spam from some hacked Windows computers - they are taken over
and becomes spambots.

So both reasons make it important to notify the owner of an account.

FYI, here is an even worse case, impersonation of James Kass, the author of
Code200x fonts.
  http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2012-m02/

Hans