Re: dashed beam

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: dashed beam
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 00:33:14 +0000

On 2/22/12 3:05 PM, "Neil Thornock" <address@hidden> wrote:

>Thanks Carl.
>
>I'm not sure I quite get the "path" usage -- how would it be different
>from using \markup {\beam ... multiple times?  The beam would have
>enough dashes to make multiple calls of one object too tedious.

I'm not sure what usage you had in mind.  But it sounded like you wanted
to generate beams as lines drawn in postscript (given that you were
worried about end caps).  My recommendation was just to use the path
stencil to draw sections of beams instead of using postscript lines.

>Spending time figuring out the beaming code might be a good place for
>me to start learning to hack away at Lily.

I think it might be a good place to start.  If I were going to create
dashed beams, I'd start with Lookup::beam in lily/lookup.cc.  That's where
the beam stencil actually gets made, and it could be created as a
combination of multiple polygons, instead of a single polygon.

If you'd like any advice, I'd be happy to provide it.

Thanks,

Carl