Re: Note names in Midi Note Numbers?

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: Note names in Midi Note Numbers?
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 17:15:01 +0800

(Apologies for resending, with some edits... this hasn't appeared in the
archives in over 9 hours since sending??)

> My favorite software was OpenMusic(an opensource composition tool by
> ircam), and I turned to Linux, so I had to find an alternative. I thought
> Lilypond is the one. If you know, please suggest me an alternative to
> OpenMusic on Linux. I think Lilypond can be an alternative to Finale(or
> Sibelius) and OpenMusic(or PWGL). Isn't it? I didn't have another choice on
> Linux to replace OpenMusic... At this reasons I wanna use Lilypond as
> composition tool...

Maybe SuperCollider? In SC, you can:

- Specify pitch as MIDI note numbers (including 60.5, 60.25 etc.).
- Do any math at all on them.
- Represent musical events in a number of useful ways.
- Use "patterns" for concise, abstract representations of musical behavior
(including aleatory).
- more...

I think it's Bernardo Barros (who is on this list?) who was working on FOMUS
integration in SC, and I heard some mentions once upon a time of a
"LilyCollider" project, probably in early development, but could help connect
the SC stuff to lp notation.

Neither SC or CSound is easy to learn, but SC is a heckuva lot more fun IMO.
Also (unless something has changed) csound doesn't natively express
compositional algorithms, though it can render the results of algorithms
written in other languages. In SC, one language does the compositional number
crunching and the audio rendering.

hjh

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world