Re: Lilypond and ePub

From: Vaughan McAlley
Subject: Re: Lilypond and ePub
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 00:24:14 +1100

On 5 March 2012 18:19, Martin Tarenskeen <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Mar 2012, Francisco Vila wrote:
>
>> 2012/3/2 Nils <address@hidden>:
>>>
>>> I tried pdf and epub books now and it is clear that epdf is not a good
>>> format for this device. I suspect the same for other readers which are not
>>> A4 size or bigger.

>>> Any thoughts on this topic? I immediately found this relevant to my
>>> interest, once I saw the staticness and resulting uglyness of PDF compared
>>> to the elegance of ePub (for text). I can not imagine music notation as pdf
>>> here.
>>

>> Well, this looks good: https://t.co/suH4Qb9I
>

> I have an e-book. I will try to prepare some of my lilypond scores to print
> on a6 paper, a size that comes close to the screen of my e-reader. I think
> Lilypond's PDF scores can look fine on my e-reader, if I prepare my lilypond
> source especially for this purpose. It's not dynamic formatting on the device
> like epub (or html, which is basically the same) does with text, but it can
> done with what we have now.
>
> --
>
> MT

I’ve experimented with formatting scores for my Kindle. I ended up
with the following settings:

% Kindle settings
paper-height = 122\mm
paper-width = 84\mm
top-margin = 5\mm
bottom-margin = 5\mm
left-margin = 10\mm
right-margin = 5\mm

It is eminently legible with a staff size of 16. Possible uses could
be checking scores without printing out yet another copy, and
performance of choral music, as we have both our hands free. Finding
pages during rehearsals would be fiddly, and you would need a
non-conservative bunch of people to make anything work. If I was
really serious I’d probably have a larger format Kindle DX.

Another thing that has worked is following a scanned miniature score
on the train while listening to my iPod.

Vaughan