Re: \cadenzaOff and accidentals

From: Neil Thornock
Subject: Re: \cadenzaOff and accidentals
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 11:03:46 -0700

>> Normal from what perspective? Where it left off before \cadenzaOn or
>> simply that it starts back at '0' immediately \cadenzaOff
>>
>> I'm wondering if we need something (a sentence of two) in the NR to
>> avoid what is obviously something that does confuse people.
>
> I still have not figured out the exact reasoning behind this.  But it
> does not seem to be much more than "stop advancing time in measure"
> "start advancing time in measure again".  If there is no material left
> to fill the bar, the measure will not get full.

Actually, it resets timing to 0, so even if the bar has some notes
before \cadenzaOn, they don't get counted toward the timing once
\cadenzaOff is reached.  So it is not "stop advancing time in measure
to resume later", but rather "stop counting altogether and then reset
to 0."

I would think that once the timing is reset to 0, as \cadenzaOn does,
it should automatically insert a barline at that point and treat the
subsequent material as a new measure (thus avoiding problems with
accidentals).

I really think this is a design flaw.

--
Neil Thornock, D.M.