Re: The LilyPond Report #24 has been released

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: The LilyPond Report #24 has been released
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 01:13:21 +0100

Valentin Villenave <address@hidden> writes:

> I have, however, submitted it on LXer which is a more
> technically-oriented news feed:
> http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/163334/index.html
>
> There also have been talks of slashdotting the LilyReport but, then
> again, I'm not familiar enough with the /. community to judge.

I've picked Linux Weekly News and Linuxtoday
<URL:http://www.linuxtoday.com/developer/2012030500239OSCYSW>, but don't
know about Slashdot.

>> More broadly, my feeling is that GNU hackers should use the Wikimedia
>> projects, wikibooks for the manuals for example...
>
> There *has* been a Wikibook pertaining to LilyPond (at least in
> French); however since most of the documentation works happen within
> the LilyPond community, it makes sense to use our own tools and
> websites rather than having to move elsewhere where we wouldn't be
> entirely in control.

LilyPond is rather highly technical: it turns out that most
contributions to the manuals not created by active developers need
several revisions before they are submittable.  It also turns out that
there is a _lot_ of material covered in the manuals, and the haphazard
coverage of Wikistuff would not really be helpful for a high
signal-to-noise ratio.

--
David Kastrup