Re: vim pointing to pdf-viewer and reverse

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: vim pointing to pdf-viewer and reverse
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 09:12:26 +0100

Stjepan Horvat <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 5:48 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Stjepan Horvat <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hello..can somebody please tell me how to get vim and a pdf viewer
>>> (xpdf or evince of zathura) to work with vim lilypond-invoke-editor
>>> function..i read everything that is on the web
>>
>> An impressive feat.
>>
>>> and couldn't figure it out..thank you.
>>
>> What is unclear with
>> <URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/usage/point-and-click>?

> I put the command 'urlCommand "lilypond-invoke-editor %s"' at the end
> of /etc/xpdfrc (i use archlinux)..and then when i tryed to hit a note
> in xpdf it tryes to open emacs..the secend thing that i tryed is to
> start gvim with options 'gvim --remote +:line:normcolumn myfile.ly'
> and i get an error like this in gvim 'E492: Not an editor command:
> :line:normcolumn|cal foreground()|if &im|star|en|redr|f' and this
> 'E247: no registered server named "GVIM": Send failed. Trying to
> execute locally' in terminal..
>
> I tought it is simple as that..but from mail-archive i saw that it is
> more complicated than i tought..but still did not understand how to
> set it up..

Have you set up your EDITOR environment variable?  I quote:

The program ‘lilypond-invoke-editor’ is a small helper program. It will invoke
an editor for the special textedit URIs, and run a web browser for others. It
tests the environment variable EDITOR for the following patterns,

emacs

    this will invoke

        emacsclient --no-wait +line:column file

gvim

    this will invoke

        gvim --remote +:line:normcolumn file

nedit

    this will invoke

          nc -noask +line file'

The environment variable LYEDITOR is used to override this. It contains the
command line to start the editor, where %(file)s, %(column)s, %(line)s is
replaced with the file, column and line respectively. The setting

    emacsclient --no-wait +%(line)s:%(column)s %(file)s

for LYEDITOR is equivalent to the standard emacsclient invocation.

--
David Kastrup