Re: collision of notehead and stem

From: ornello
Subject: Re: collision of notehead and stem
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 08:59:25 -0800 (PST)

Hello Eluze,

thanks for your quick reply!

Eluze wrote:

> why do you specify once \override Stem #'direction = #up  each time?
> with \voiceOne or \voiceThree this happens automatically!
> and with \voiceTwo all stems (and other grobs) are directed down!

The snippet comes from a generated file therefore it is not optimized for
readability. If you remove all stem direction overrides except for the half
note, the problem persists.

Eluze wrote:

> look for inner voices in
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/notation-big-page#collision-resolution
> and how voices should be arranged.

Thanks for the link. The best solution I found was using \shiftOff for the
half note. I would have preferred the half note be placed to the right of
the colliding chord instead of merging it with the chord, but this is a
working solution. Here is the result:

{
\new Staff <<
\key c \major
\time 4/4
\clef violin
\new Voice {
\voiceOne
% 38
b'8\trill
r8
cis''8.[  \(
bis'!32 (
cis''32]  ) \)
dis''8
r8
e''8.\trill [  \(
dis''32 (
e''32]  )
}
\new Voice {
\voiceTwo
% 38
< dis'
fis' > 8
s8
ais'!4
b'!8
s8
< fis'
cis'' > 4
}
\new Voice {
\voiceThree
% 38
s4
\shiftOff \once \override Stem #'direction = #down fis'2
s4