Feathered beams: More than one beam at the end?

From: James Harkins
Subject: Feathered beams: More than one beam at the end?
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 16:04:13 +0800

Another question -- is there any way to make the narrow end of a feathered beam
show more than one beam? That is, as far as I can see, the beams taper down to
one point (as in this code snip) but the documentation doesn't show any way to
specify the number of beams you want at the end.

\version "2.14.2"
\include "english.ly"

%     \override Beam #'grow-direction = #LEFT
%     % revert to non-feathered beams
%     \override Beam #'grow-direction = #'()

\relative c'' {
  \key d \major
  \numericTimeSignature
  r16
  \override Beam #'grow-direction = #LEFT
  \scaleDurations #'(2 . 1) { e32 [ e e e e e e ] }
  \override Beam #'grow-direction = #'()
  e16 e e4.
}

In this example, I'd like to indicate that the note duration at the end of the
feathered bit should be a 16th note (and the performed rhythm would merge
smoothly with the metered notes following). As shown, it kind of looks like the
notes should slow down to roughly an eighth note, and then the next 16th notes
would be played faster. Not the intent.

Writing by hand, I might start the feathered part with 32nd notes and merge two
of the beams down into one, leaving 16th notes at the end.

If it's impossible, I'll work around it with some explanatory text. Maybe a
viable feature request?

Thanks,
James

--