Re: Bar Lines Disappear with Staff Line Count Change

From: Nathan
Subject: Re: Bar Lines Disappear with Staff Line Count Change
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 15:45:29 -0800

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Mark Mathias <address@hidden> wrote:
> Why do Bar Lines disappear when reducing the Staff Line count? I've tried
> several alterations to the layout context for score, but don't get the right
> results.
>
> \version "2.15.33"
>
> \relative c'' {
>
> \override Staff . StaffSymbol #'line-count = #1
>
> b4 s r r
>
> b b8 b b b s4
>
> b s s s
>
> }
>

> Thanks!
>
> Mark

They're disappearing because LilyPond is sizing the barline to fit the
staff lines. With only one staff line, the staff symbol is thin, so
the barlines are shrunk to a very small size.

Kieren's suggestion works great. If you need only one staff line and
only one pitch, another possibility is to use a RhythmicStaff:

\new RhythmicStaff {
  c4 c c c | c d e f
}

There are some differences between rhythmic staves and normal staves
with one barline. If you want multiple pitches, a normal staff might
be better.

Hope this helps!