Sibelius user looking for the easiest way to learn LilyPond

From: John Link
Subject: Sibelius user looking for the easiest way to learn LilyPond
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 13:42:50 -0400

A few years ago I was encouraged to try LilyPond as an alternative to Sibelius because LilyPond produced more beautiful scores. I was also told that it would allow me to do things like specify that bars 25 through 32 are to be identical to bars 9 through 16 and avoid cutting and pasting from bars 9-16 into 25-32. I liked what I heard, but I was quite shocked by LilyPond's interface. I would be interested in hearing from any Sibelius users who have successfully learned LilyPond. How can I get going in LilyPond as quickly as possible?

In case it's relevant, I should add that I used to program in FORTRAN and a little bit of UNIX but never in any other languages.

Thanks in advance,
John Link