Re: lyric hyphen goes outside staff limits at line break

From: Zsolt Cselényi
Subject: Re: lyric hyphen goes outside staff limits at line break
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 09:15:06 +0000 (UTC)

> I've no solution but some observations:
> \remove Bar_engraver causes some problems, \override SpacingSpanner
> #'packed-spacing = ##t from gregorian.ly, too.
> But it is possible to provoke the problem even without them. ->
> attached png (The last LyricHyphen of the line collides with the
> BarLine.)
>
> My attempt to alter the 'X-extent of the last stem of a line from
> inside a LyricHyphen-override failed. And I don't know why. I can
> change the color of the stem but not the 'X-extent! Overriding it
> directly in the Voice works.

Harm,
Thanks for your efforts. The callback solution may fail exactly because it's a
callback _after_ the line already has been broken and thus changing the X-extent
of the last stem has no further bearing on the appearance of the end of the
staff or the location of the break. LilyPond should somehow take into
consideration the lyric hyphens _during_ the determination of line breaks. So
perhaps it really cannot be solved without changing the layout system...
Zsolt