Re: Sibelius user looking for the easiest way to learn LilyPond

From: John Link
Subject: Re: Sibelius user looking for the easiest way to learn LilyPond
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 09:52:07 -0400

On Mar 12, 2012, at 9:42 AM, David Bobroff wrote:

On 3/11/2012 6:39 PM, John Link wrote:
A few years ago I was encouraged to try LilyPond as an alternative to Sibelius because LilyPond produced more beautiful scores. I was also told that it would allow me to do things like specify that bars 25 through 32 are to be identical to bars 9 through 16 and avoid cutting and pasting from bars 9-16 into 25-32. I liked what I heard, but I was quite shocked by LilyPond's interface. I would be interested in hearing from any Sibelius users who have successfully learned LilyPond. How can I get going in LilyPond as quickly as possible?

In case it's relevant, I should add that I used to program in FORTRAN and a little bit of UNIX but never in any other languages.

Thanks in advance,
John Link

Hi John,

I can't really speak to LilyPond vs Sibelius use.  On the other hand, I used to be a Finale user and I have had *very* limited contact with Sibelius.  Having said that, while I'm aware of differences between Sibelius and Finale they share a major feature; namely, an interactive graphical user interface which displays your music while you work.  LilyPond, as you have likely discerned, does not work that way at all.  I have found that, for me at least, the learning curve for LilyPond is not terribly steep, but it's long-ish.  I know just about nothing about FORTRAN aside from the fact that it's an old programming language, but I would imagine that having programming experience would be helpful.

I think the main hurdle is getting used to focusing on the informational content as you input your scores and worry about output later if you need to tweak it.  The idea is that LilyPond should do the actual 'engraving' for you without much intervention on your part.

Hope this was useful,

-David

Thank you, David. What you wrote is very helpful. Here are a few more questions:

1) What is the easiest way to extract parts from a score?

2) Are there any features in Finale (or Sibelius or any other scorewriter with a GUI) that you wish you had in LilyPond?

Thanks,
John