Re: Sibelius user looking for the easiest way to learn LilyPond

From: John Link
Subject: Re: Sibelius user looking for the easiest way to learn LilyPond
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 10:15:13 -0400

On Mar 12, 2012, at 10:01 AM, David Bobroff wrote:

On 3/12/2012 1:52 PM, John Link wrote:

1) What is the easiest way to extract parts from a score?

A Zen master would reply "mu" (= un-ask the question).  "Extracting" parts is a meaningless idea in LilyPond.

I thought that might be the case. However, I need to supply my musicians with parts so the task is meaningful even if extracting parts is not.

  What you actually do is build scores.  A score may consist of a full orchestral score, or a two-measure example of a melody.  Have you gone through the tutorial yet?

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/learning/tutorial

That's really the place to start.  Oh, another thing; Getting your work flow set up makes a lot of difference.  While there are graphical front-ends available for LilyPond

Where might I find them?

I prefer straight text editing.

Why is that?

  My preference is Emacs (on Windows or Linux).  There is a file for setting up Emacs to recognize LilyPond input files which makes editing a lot easier.  Things get color-coded and indents are set up, etc.

2) Are there any features in Finale (or Sibelius or any other scorewriter with a GUI) that you wish you had in LilyPond?

I can't think of one.  Then again, I haven't used anything but LilyPond for at least ten years.

Impressive! Can you now create scores as quickly as you used to in Finale?

John