Re: addl. normal staff (ossia) in drummode or DrumStaff context

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: addl. normal staff (ossia) in drummode or DrumStaff context
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:57:46 -0000

Uwe, you wrote  Monday, March 12, 2012 2:32 AM

I have just started to use lilypond to set some drum scores. As I need to add a few patches of backing vocals, I'd attempted to add extra (normal) staffs at
those places, however, lilypond seems to refuse doing that.
Example:
\score {
 \new DrumStaff <<
     \drummode {
          bd4 sn bd bd4  <<
             { bd  bd8 sn sn4 bd }
             \new Staff { c8 d8 e8 f8 g4 c4 }  >>
     }   >>
}

This produces an error like
t.ly:23:27: error: syntax error, unexpected STRING
             \new Staff {
                          c8 d8 e8 f8 g4 c4 }
t.ly:18:2: error: errors found, ignoring music expression

I suppose that either the \drummode or the \DrumStaff context do not allow this.

Yes, drummode doesn't allow it.  You need to switch temporarily
back to notemode, like this:

\score {
 \new DrumStaff <<
     \drummode {
          bd4 sn bd bd4  <<
             { bd  bd8 sn sn4 bd }
             \notemode { \new Staff { c8 d8 e8 f8 g4 c4 } }  >>
     }   >>
}

Trevor