Re: Sibelius user looking for the easiest way to learn LilyPond

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Sibelius user looking for the easiest way to learn LilyPond
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 14:53:34 +0100

John Link <address@hidden> writes:

> A few years ago I was encouraged to try LilyPond as an alternative to
> Sibelius because LilyPond produced more beautiful scores. I was also
> told that it would allow me to do things like specify that bars 25
> through 32 are to be identical to bars 9 through 16 and avoid cutting
> and pasting from bars 9-16 into 25-32. I liked what I heard, but I was
> quite shocked by LilyPond's interface.

That's a bit like saying you tried to learn French but were shocked by
the keyboard layout.[1]

> I would be interested in hearing from any Sibelius users who have
> successfully learned LilyPond. How can I get going in LilyPond as
> quickly as possible?

Become good friends with an editor.  I think that Frescobaldi is
supposed to be reasonably nice.

> In case it's relevant, I should add that I used to program in FORTRAN
> and a little bit of UNIX but never in any other languages.

Program in UNIX?  What do you mean by that?  Shell scripts?

Footnotes:
[1]   I mean, yes, I am shocked as well.  Like my last laptop, I bought
my present one with "German keyboard provided through indestructible
[haha] stickers".  And I expected that I'd get the American keyboard I
am used to by peeling off those stickers, like it worked the last few
times.

--
David Kastrup