Re: Sibelius user looking for the easiest way to learn LilyPond

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Sibelius user looking for the easiest way to learn LilyPond
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 23:58:44 +0100

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 7:39 PM, John Link <address@hidden> wrote:
> How can I get going in LilyPond as quickly as possible?

I suggest reading Learning Manual
(http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/learning/index) and
then trying typesetting a very simple 1-page score.  When you're
familiar with the syntax, try searching Notation Reference for
information about functions that interest you, and write a small
snippet using this information.  Then start typesetting real scores,
but i suggest to keep them small for a while.

Also, feel free to ask questions on the mailing list.  I would follow
three rules:
- first, read Learning Manual
- if you need something not mentioned there, search other manuals
(Notation Reference in particular) and mailing list archive.  If you
don't find an answer within 15-20 minutes, ask.
- if something is unclear in the manuals after second reading, ask.

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 3:15 PM, John Link <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> 1) What is the easiest way to extract parts from a score?
>>
>> A Zen master would reply "mu" (= un-ask the question).  "Extracting" parts
>> is a meaningless idea in LilyPond.
>
> I thought that might be the case. However, I need to supply my musicians
> with parts so the task is meaningful even if extracting parts is not.

A quick example on how creating score and parts works in LilyPond:

% first, i define the music and assign it to variables:

violinI = {
  \key c \minor
  r4 r8 g' c'' ees''16 d'' c''8 c'' |
  c'' c' ees''4 ~ ees''8 d''16 ees'' f''8 aes' |
  aes' g' r c'' c''8.^\trill b'32 c'' d''8 g' |
}

violinII = {
  \key c \minor
  r4 r8 g' c'' ees''16 d'' c''8 c'' |
  c'' c' ees''4 ~ ees''8 d''16 ees'' f''8 aes' |
  aes' g' r c'' c''8.^\trill b'32 c'' d''8 g' |
}

bass = {
  \key c \minor
  \clef bass
  c4 r8 g c' ees'16 d' c'8 c' |
  c' c r g aes f bes bes, |
  ees ees, r c ees c g ees |
}

% i put everything together to form a full score:
\score {
  \new StaffGroup <<
    \violinI
    \violinII