Re: Sibelius user looking for the easiest way to learn LilyPond

From: David Bobroff
Subject: Re: Sibelius user looking for the easiest way to learn LilyPond
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 16:55:06 +0000

On 3/13/2012 10:01 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
Stjepan Horvat<address@hidden>  writes:

Did you try to press number 3 in sibelius..i think it would create a
third interval..and so on..i'm not sure..
Now this is actually a great example about what makes LilyPond so much
better to work in the long run with than Sibelius or other GUI/WYSIWYG
programs.

It supports culture, the transfer of knowledge.  If you get a score from
a great LilyPond master, you don't have to ask "how do you do that?".
It's all in there.

Yes, it's all in there! A significant part of my experience with becoming better at coding LilyPond input files has been a series of small epiphanies. I was converting some Finale ETF files (there used to be an etf2ly converter) and I was puzzled by the LilyPond code that was produced. Upon closer examination I learned something valuable about the power and flexibility of LilyPond. I think it was then that I really never went back to commercial music printing software.

   Of course, the question "why did you do that?" is
not answered, but as long as you have the same task to solve, you can
use the same solution.  You can type it off, or copy&paste and it works.
And if the master cared about the question "why did you do that?", he
can add _comments_ to the source.

Sometimes the "why" is actually evident in the how/what.

-David

No "did you try to press numner 3..i think it would create a third
interval".  If you want to do small changes, you do them.  No magically
disappearing chords refusing to accept additional notes.

There is a community of people exchanging and creating _knowledge_
instead of fellow sufferers.