Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 2.0.4

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 2.0.4
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 12:45:40 +0100

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Wilbert Berendsen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Please let me know the things you miss most! Note that F2 is only
> (roughly) one year old and really written from scratch, the first commit
> is of Nov 11, 2012. I intend to keep developing and adding new
> features. I think the current technical infrastructure and code setup is
> very nice.

I miss:
- superb look of the previous version.  It was really pro and when i
saw it i instantly knew that Frescobaldi is a great tool.  Not every
program is a joy to /look at/ :)
- tabs on sides and bottom - it would be great to combine tabs and
movable frames.

I also liked menu layout a lot (i fell in love with Frescobaldi when i
wanted to change something and went straightly to Settings->Configure
Frescobaldi->the thing i wanted.  It was uber cool and fully
intuitive; much better than LilyPondTool UI).

>> - the new "Compile but don't save" behavior is quite surprising (and
>> I've found myself loosing more than one score because of it). I'm not
>> saying it's bad or absurd, it's just unexpected (and should be
>> optional IMO).
>
> It is, go to LilyPond Preferences and set Save If Possible.

maybe this should be the default?  (IIUC how this works)

> Many things are high on the TODO list, and all the needed
> infrastructure is already there:

Out of things you mentioned, i'm interested in two:

> - folding in editor

that's truly a must-have.

> - editing through the Music View (i.e. drag objects to attach them to
> another note or to insert offset overrides)

that'd be great!  If you make it possible to tweak slurs via pdf
preview (showing some Bezier curve handles to manipulate) it would be
an instant killer feature!

cheers,
Janek