Combining lyrics lines

From: Reedmace Star
Subject: Combining lyrics lines
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 15:01:50 +0100

Dear Lilypond users,

I am typesetting a musical-theater style song, with the parts of several
singers appearing on the same staff.

For unrelated reasons, I want to use a separate Voice context for each
singer, even though the melodies usually don't overlap. The lyrics are
defined separately for each voice, too.

Here is a simplified example of what I'm doing:

\version "2.14.2"

<<
  \new Staff <<
    \new Voice = "a" { f'4 g' r2 | s1 }
    \new Voice = "b" { s1        | a'2 g' }

  \new Lyrics \lyricsto "a" \lyricmode { may -- be }
  \new Lyrics \lyricsto "b" \lyricmode { that the }

Now, the lyrics to "a" and "b" appear on separate lines, like this:

     maybe
             that the

Instead, I would like to see them combined on one line whereever
possible, like this:

     maybe   that the

Lilypond 2.12.3 did this by default. Is there a way to achieve it in
newer versions?

As mentioned before, the melodies usually don't overlap, so it would
probably be sufficient to overlay both Lyrics contexts in the same
vertical space.  I naively attempted to do this by putting both into a
StaffGroup and then setting their Y-extents to zero, but this had no
effect; neither had various experiments with the staff-staff-spacing
property of the StaffGroup or the Lyrics contexts.

I also considered using a single Lyrics context and associatedVoice:

\version "2.14.2"

<<
  \new Staff <<
    \new Voice = "a" { f'4 g' r2 | s1 }
    \new Voice = "b" { s1        | a'2 g' }

  \new Lyrics \lyricsto "a" {
          \lyricmode { may -- be }
          \set associatedVoice = "b"
          \lyricmode { that the }
  }

This fails, I guess, because of the requirement to change the associated
voice one syllable early (2.1.1)?  While that would be easy to fix in
this minimal example, it would be inconvenient in the actual score,
where the lyrics are stored in separate variables defined outside the
\score block.

Any other ideas?

Thanks and best regards,

Reedmace Star