Re: [Frescobaldi] Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 2.0.4

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: [Frescobaldi] Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 2.0.4
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 00:17:36 +0100

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Wilbert Berendsen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Tab and Shift-tab handle the indent, Ctrl+I inserts a plain Tab.

Yeah, I think Ctrl-I as in "re-indent the selected part" was a
LilyPondTool/jEdit thing.

Speaking of confusing shortcuts: Ctrl-D used to mean "comment this
line" (that's the default in Kate I think), now it means "Delete" ->
I've inadvertently lost a few lines because of that :-)

> To keep Frescobaldi simple its indenting defaults to the
> LilyPond-recommended way of indenting. But you can override the
> behaviour by placing document variables in the document (see
> manual->editor->document variables).

Wow. Wouldn't have thought of that.

> I put much love in the PDF view to make it better than the old one (I
> hope ;-) You can copy images: drag a square with the right button or
> Shift-left button, and then choose "Copy to Image" in the context menu
> or the Edit menu. It even copies images in a specified DPI setting,
> instead of the current scale! You can drag both the image or the
> image's file, and also specify the antialiasing, background color
> (which in the "Copy to Image" dialog defaults to white :-) and whether
> to auto-crop the image.

OK. I had missed the menu entry.

> And did you notice the magnifying glass? Ctrl+Click in the Music View!

I did not. I only used Ctrl-mousewheel (it wouldn't have occured to me ;)

> The old pdf view did not support finding point and click objects (due to
> Okular limitations), but the new one has: Ctrl+J highlights the object
> the text cursor is at.

Yes, that must be the most welcome new feature.

Plus, since I rarely have a mouse (I'm running ratpoison these days),
I've come to realize that Frescobaldi can be easily be controlled with
the keyboard only!

> I tried to make the config pages simple and not too crowded. But I think
> an 'Editor' page is needed, with settings related to editing behaviour,
> indenting etc.

That's what I'd be expecting to see, indeed.

> Please take a look at the snippets manager, it is quite powerful and
> also powers the File->New from template menu. It has support for python
> scripts as well and some nice default snippets. A larger library could
> be put on the Frescobaldi website.

Yeah, I should consider using it for quick tuplets and stuff.

> There is: see www.frescobaldi.org/download . The Windows installer
> works very well! I have no Mac to test and build a Mac installer.
> But users are using Frescobaldi on Mac OS X and it works.

Cool. I hope to see a Mac application available for download soon!

> Yes there are many French translators, and I can't see which which
> translations are the best. It would be nice if someone with good
> understanding of LilyPond and Frescobaldi and translating desktop
> applications could 'govern' the French translation :-)

Well, I'd be happy to :-)

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
V.