al niente hairpin symbol

From: Siska Ádám
Subject: al niente hairpin symbol
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 19:37:34 +0100

Dear List,

I noticed that when a glissando with a decrescendo hairpin attached to it is
broken into multiple lines, the 'al niente' sign is printed just before the
break. This is rather confusing, as one might think that the end-note of the
glissando, which appears in the next line, is actually a note that has to be
played (which, of course, is not true; as the decrescendo ends with al niente,
that sound must be silent, it just shows where the glissando should end).

Is there any workaround for this? Currently I'm just putting a flageolet sign
below the note in the second line, but that's not very nice. Obviously, the
best would be if the hairpin would break with the glissando, in which case it
could end on the very first note of the second line.

Here's a very short example:

\relative c' {
  \override Glissando #'breakable = ##t
  \override Hairpin #'circled-tip = ##t