Re: Automatic beaming in melismas

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Automatic beaming in melismas
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 08:55:24 +0100

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM, Kieren MacMillan
<address@hidden> wrote:
> My 2¢:
>
>>> I'd like to easily make choral scores with automatic beaming
>>> inside melismas and none outside.
>
>> I 100% support your wish.
>
> While I 100% the idea that Lilypond should do everything for everybody
> (within reason), I ***100% oppose*** this "feature" as default: There is
> a very good reason that choral scores have evolved beyond that confusing
> and amusical tradition/convention which dominated engraving before the 20th
> Century.

I'm not sure if i made myself clear.  Here's how i think it should work:

\relative c'' {
  r2 d4 g,8 g
  c8 c c c b16 \melisma a b c b c a b
  g16 fis g a g b a b c b c d c d b c
  a4 \melismaEnd r r2
}
\addlyrics { For un -- to us a child is born, __ }

should produce the same output as now.  The cool thing would be that this:

\relative c'' {
  \autoBeamOff
  r2 d4 g,8 g
  c8 c c c b16 \melisma a b c b c a b
  g16 fis g a g b a b c b c d c d b c
  a4 \melismaEnd r r2
}
\addlyrics { For un -- to us a child is born, __ }

would produce automatic beaming inside the melisma.  Of course, it
should be possible to turn this off.

Is this acceptable to you?

cheers,
Janek