Fwd: Matching lyrics to a one measure divisi

From: Hayden Muhl
Subject: Fwd: Matching lyrics to a one measure divisi
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 11:47:12 -0700

2012/3/21 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>
On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 7:57 AM, Hayden Muhl <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm type setting an aria where there are optional low notes for a single
> measure. My normal approach when setting instrumental music does not work
> here, because the lyrics do not follow the notes properly.
>
> Here's my snippet.
>
> http://www.lilybin.com/hjtorv/1
>
> The text "la catena" should match to the notes in measures 1 and 2. "Che non
> cerca" should follow starting on measure 3.
>
> I think I understand what the problem is, but I don't know how to fix it.
> There are three different voices, and the lyrics are following only one of
> them. There is one voice that contains the notes in measures 1, 3 and 4, and
> then two more voices for the notes in measure 2.
>
> I've had the same problem before when having to tie and slur between divisi
> and non-divisi sections of a score. Hopefully there is a sane method of
> getting this to work that I'm not aware of.

Do not use \\ shortcut, because it has limitations like this,
Instead, use explicit voices.  The manuals give you instructions on
this, but if you have trouble, ask (sorry, i'm in a rush now).

hope this helps,
Janek

I figured that something like this....

http://www.lilybin.com/hjtorv/2

would solve the problem, but I wanted to avoid that. Because these are part of the same part I wanted to keep the notes in measure two near each other in the source. I generally like to write one measure per line in my source file, which is why the \\ notation is so handy. If I use two voices where one voice has many measures of {s}, then the notes that share a single measure are going to be very far away from each other in the source file.

Is there some sort of compromise I can use? Is there a way to make the lyrics work properly, but keep the source for measure two in close proximity to itself?

The linked snippet has an obvious stemming issue, but let's not worry about that for now.

- Hayden